Rescue Dog Saves Girl from Snake
Have you heard of the recent hero rescue dog, named, Haus, in Tampa, Florida?
Haus, a rescue German shepherd, saved his ‘sister,’ Molly, a 7-year-old girl, from an Eastern diamondback rattlesnake, which appeared in their backyard. Haus refused to back down even though he was bit several times.
According to Haus’ adopter, Adam DeLuca, “It shows you that a rescue dog, for us, paid it forward by protecting my family.”
Hundreds of donors have come forward to help this cause using GoFundMe to help pay for the antivenin, pain medicine, and ICU costs needed to keep Haus alive. Each vial of anti-venom costs $618 per vial, and Haus is averaging 4 to 5 vials per day, including ICU costs averaging $1,000.00 to $1,500.00 per day. A family friend started the fundraising effort. The response, said DeLuca, has been “overwhelming.” So far, almost $50,000 has been raised to help with Haus’ medical care, which is above and beyond what is needed. The DeLuca family plans to forward any unused donations to a local animal rescue organizations.
When Haus’ leg was shaved, three bite marks could be seen — telltale signs of the rattlesnake. Haus is being treated and he is expected to recover, although he may have some kidney damage. Haus is expected to be hospitalized for another couple of days.
“Without the pain medication, he’s [Haus] in pain. He’s responsive, he’s alert, and his leg is swollen and uncomfortable,” according to the vet.
The DeLuca family adopted Haus just two months ago from a rescue organization, but they already had no doubt Haus would risk his life to save Molly or her four-year-old brother.
“He [Haus] just exceeded our expectations all the way around,” said DeLuca. “Right away, the kids were hugging and loving on him, he always took it, he never did anything. Whenever anyone came to the door, he would start barking and try to be protective. He has just been an amazing dog. He’s the type of dog that when you want to go buy a dog, you pay thousands of dollars and that’s the dog you get. But we adopted him and got him for free.”
You can view a video of Haus here. Pictured below is the vet, Molly, and Haus, while Haus is treated and recovers in the ICU, courtesy of WFLA.