Autumn: Favorite Time of the Year
Autumn is not only my favorite time of year, but autumn has a symbolic significance. This time of year signals the coming of the next phase. It is about restoring so we can prepare for what is to come.
“Autumn is a season of great beauty but is also a season of decline: the days grow shorter, the light is suffused, and summer’s abundance decays toward winter’s death. Faced with this inevitable winter, what does nature do in autumn? She scatters the seeds that will bring new growth in the spring — and she scatters them with amazing abandon.
In my own experience of autumn, I am rarely aware that seeds are being planted. In the autumnal events of my own experience, I am easily fixated on surface experience, I am easily fixated on surface experiences–on the decline of meaning, the decay of relationships, the death of a vocation. And yet, if I look more deeply, I may see the myriad possibilities being planted to bear fruit in some season yet to come.”
Palmer goes on to describe challenging life situations that, at the time, seemed hopeless but actually provided the opening for new opportunities: “On the surface, it seemed that life was lessening, but silently and lavishly, the seeds of new life were always being sewn.”
The cycle of life provides for endless transformation.
Below are some reasons why autumn is my favorite time of year!
1. Changes in the Leaves: I love the color change in leaves — they are so beautiful. It is fun to go on a drive when the leaves are at their peak in color!
2. Cooler Temperatures: I love the cooler temperatures that enables me to wear warm sweaters; and I love sleeping with the windows slightly open to let in cool fresh air!
3. Pumpkin Patch: I love going to the pumpkin patch and picking out pumpkins to carve — well, Doug does all the carving and I “assist!” You can see an example of one of Doug’s pumpkin carving masterpieces shown below — a sheltie pumpkin! (Doug can also carve a panda pumpkin as well!)
4. Halloween: I love dog costumes — they are so much fun! Shown below, Biscuit tolerated us putting him in a panda costume during the two Halloweens that we had Biscuit with us.
5. Anniversary: We got married in the fall and we have fun celebrating our anniversary!
6. Chimney Smoke: For some odd reason, I like this smell!
7. Apple Cider: I love warm apple cider along with an old-fashioned donut from the orchard!
8. Thanksgiving: There is always something to be thankful for and it gives me a reason to make my sweet potato casserole!
9. Candles: I love burning autumn scented candles!
10. Walks Outside: I enjoy walking and I really like walking outside in the cooler temperatures while enjoying the fall foliage! We are looking forward to walking Victory all around our new neighborhood!