Life Mission Statement
I have been working on creating my own “Life Mission Statement.” I have never formally drafted an individual mission statement before, and I am not yet done drafting my mission statement; however, I have found these prompts, questions helpful, if you are interested in creating your own life mission statement. Most businesses have mission statements, so why not have individual life mission statements?
A personal mission statement is a written culmination of values, roles, objectives, self-reflection, and self-evaluation. It has the flexibility to change as you change and the ability to keep you focused. I believe that we all are blessed with unique gifts. Importantly, the expression of our gifts contributes to a cause greater than ourselves.
Here are some prompts/questions to help you get started with crafting your own personal life mission statement.
1. What makes you smile? (Activities, people, events, hobbies, projects, etc.)
2. What are your favorite things to do in the past? What about now?
3. What activities make you lose track of time?
4. What makes you feel great about yourself?
5. Who inspires you most? (Family, friends, authors, artists, leaders, etc.) Which qualities inspire you, in each person?
6. What are you naturally good at? (Skills, abilities, gifts etc.)
7. What do people typically ask you for help in?
8. If you had to teach something, what would you teach?
9. What would you regret not fully doing, being or having in your life?
10. You are now 90 years old, sitting on a rocking chair outside your porch; you can feel the spring breeze gently brushing against your face. You are happy, and are pleased with the wonderful life you have been blessed with. Looking back at your life and all that you have achieved and acquired, all the relationships you have developed; what matters to you most? List them out.
11. What are your deepest values?
12. What were some challenges, difficulties and hardships you have overcome or are in the process of overcoming? How did you do it?
13. What causes do you strongly believe in? Connect with?
14. If you could get a message across to a large group of people. Who would those people be? What would your message be?
15. Given your talents, passions and values. How could you use these resources to serve, to help, to contribute? ( to people, beings, causes, organization, environment, planet, etc.)